Around the World in 38 Days
By Katie McGregor

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

In transit

We are currently in Singapore airport awaiting our connecting flight to Denpasar (Bali). Expecting to be bored all day (as our connection wasn't for 6 hours), we were pleasantly surprised to find a whole host of exciting and interesting activities especially for passengers like us laid on for free by Singapore airport and the Singapore tourist board. We chose to go on a 2 hour "colonial" tour of the city.

Singapore is weird. Mine and Mark's first comments, more or less simultaneously, were that the city reminded us of the Truman Show meets the Prisoner. The city is immaculate. In fact, it is so aesthetically pleasing it makes you a little suspicious (!). We admitted, of course, that our tour will be only be giving us a very biased and limited view of the city and that we are both still very culture shocked after the gritty and smelly cities of Vietnam (incidentally, Singapore even smells like disinfectant!). However, even baring this in mind, I still feel a little uneasy about the place.

I am currently typing this blog from a free internet station. Good job really because we have no currency to use here! Unfortunately, the Singaporeans are on the ball with their computers so I have no way of sneakily plugging my camera in for uploading photos. We have lots of lovely photos of minority peoples at a large, bussly market we visited over the weekend (Bac Ha), and also of Mark looking silly in his poncho. I will make sure I get these on asap.

Hope everyone is well!

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Katie's Counter