I've only got a little Seoul...
...(name that tune!).
I am now in the capital ofSouth Korea , Seoul . Being the well education blogger readers that you are, I'm sure you all knew the capital of South Korea and there was no need for me to tell you that. hmmmmm?
Anyway, it's certainly nice being back in a sticky and humid climate again. My toes have just about thawed out from that chillyNew Zealand winter time.
South Korea is the wealthiest Asian country I have visited to date. The Seouleans (just made that up!) are fashion conscious and well kitted out with the latest mobile phone/music playing technology. The city is about the size of London and has a well organised tube and public transport network which I have already been using extensively since arriving two days ago.
English speakers and English translations of shop names, road signs are a rare site here. Instead, Korean characters are used everywhere. Of course, I have no idea of where to begin with these so walking round the city can feel a bit bewildering and isolating. Westerners and tourists in general are hard to come by here too which is always nice. Surprisingly, Koreans don't give a blond European girl strolling round the city by herself a second glance (also nice!).
Ryan lives in a district in the north of the city called Suyu. Unfortunately, he has to teach most days so I am left to my own tourist devices. I must admit I do miss having Mark to chat to and exchange silly thoughts with whilst plodding around. Can't be helped though I suppose.
The Palace of Shining Happiness.
A palace guard that is neither shiney nor happy (what a rip-off!).
My first Korean dinner. On floor. Chopsticks compulsary.
I am now in the capital of
Anyway, it's certainly nice being back in a sticky and humid climate again. My toes have just about thawed out from that chilly
English speakers and English translations of shop names, road signs are a rare site here. Instead, Korean characters are used everywhere. Of course, I have no idea of where to begin with these so walking round the city can feel a bit bewildering and isolating. Westerners and tourists in general are hard to come by here too which is always nice. Surprisingly, Koreans don't give a blond European girl strolling round the city by herself a second glance (also nice!).
Ryan lives in a district in the north of the city called Suyu. Unfortunately, he has to teach most days so I am left to my own tourist devices. I must admit I do miss having Mark to chat to and exchange silly thoughts with whilst plodding around. Can't be helped though I suppose.
The Palace of Shining Happiness.
A palace guard that is neither shiney nor happy (what a rip-off!).
My first Korean dinner. On floor. Chopsticks compulsary.

1 Comments:
It's Pulp dude! (see? i got there in the end). Very sad you can't see Jarvis with us, but we'll tell him you said hi!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Rosie
ps Hello to Ryan! . . . and the people of South Korea
By
Anonymous, at Sunday, 10 September, 2006
Post a Comment
<< Home