Around the World in 38 Days
By Katie McGregor

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Jeju

I am now here. For those of you that can't be bothered with links, "here" is the lovely island of Jeju, south of the Korean peninsula.

I decided to get out of the city for a few days and see a little bit more of South Korea so booked myself on an eco-tour of the island. Jeju is very lovely, very windy and popular amongst South Koreans as a honeymoon destination (the newly-weds walk around with matching t-shirts - sickening). I am staying in a swanky hotel (see previous blog) and thoroughly enjoying fresh towels each morning and peering in awe at the wonders inside my mini-bar! (not been brave enough to try anything yet as am seriously running out of money).

My tour group consists of our Russian tour guide, Victor, a nice Austrian girl called Elizabeth and two slightly annoying but tolerable Americans. Yesterday, was quite a wet and grey day (autumn is creeping in) but today was lovely. We've been to see a beautiful waterfall, a bonsai tree garden, a tea plantation and some volcanic crators - all covered in vegetation now as the volcano that once created this island has not errupted in 2.5 millions years. Oh also, a five story temple - quite unusual I am told. Full of golden Buddhas.

Other exciting events...a spider crawled up my leg and bit me so yesterday I had two fang holes in my leg. WOO! Now the area is looking suspiciously like (yet another) mossy bite. However, I am sticking to my spider bite story as it is more hard-core. Today, I drank cactus fruit juice. It was purple and quite nice. I wonder if the Jeju peopl have a mild obsession with purple food stuffs as we were served purple rice with our lunch yesterday too.

Jeju is a peaceful place. No fighting took place here during the Korean war and it makes me feel serene (helpful in taking my mind of the mess that Mark says he is creating in our house!).

Some pictures for you on the photos 1 link to the right in no particular order.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Katie's Counter